When proceeding to write your paper, you'd better have a precise idea of its final appearance. In order to do that, take a look at a well-written example. There, you will see the following features.
- It may include a title page. However, we suggest consulting with your professor regarding this issue because he may want you to include the title right on the first page of text. Anyway, the title has to be centered a third of the way down the page, and your full name has to be allocated in a few lines under the title. Note, that applying of subtitles depends on the type of work (for, example, thesis and dissertation have different requirements for supplying).
- You will see that in a CMS sample paper margins are set between 1 and 1.25. In most cases the size of margins is up to you, although it is limited with the preceding requirements.
- The typeface should be readable like Times New Roman with no less than 10 pt, but better 12 pt.
- When the first page starts, you will find arabic page numbers in its header.
- If CMS sample paper has to do with soft sciences, you will probably see superscripted notes written in full-size and followed by a period. The Chicago Manual of Style recommends using notes to cite sources and give essential commentary. Pay attention that note numbers should be allocated at the end of the clause that they refer after the punctuation marks, with the exception of dash. Also, the numbers of notes has to start with «1» and follow sequentially within the document.
- As for the capitalization, you will see that CMS sample paper is characterized by a minimalist method to capitalize letters.
- Pay attention to three spaced periods. They indicate the omission of words from a quoted passage. Along with the three spaced period there have to be additional punctuation, if appropriate, like a sentence-ending period.
- If CMS sample paper is a long document, it will probably include additional sections or subheadings. Good news is, when using Chicago style, you can feel free in devising your own format. In case you decide to put subheadings into the text, remember making an extra line space before and after subheads. Don't end the subheading with a period.
- Look whether there are quotations in the paper. Usually, quotations within quotations are enclosed in single quotation marks. On the other hand, if the entire quotation presents itself within another quotation, you should use only one set of double quotation marks.
- Do you see square brackets in the CMS sample paper? They are typically used to clarify certain words, phrases or a quotation, as well.
- As for the Italic type, it is used only for emphasis. Please note, it is the only way to put an emphasis, as long as the usage of all capital letters is disallowed. Also, it may be used to indicate a foreign word, the meaning of which the reader is not probably aware of. If the foreign word is used more than once, it has to be italicized only when it appears first.
- If you see a colon in the CMS sample paper, you must understand that it is used for introduction of a direct quotation. As a rule, a colon accompanies «as follows» and indicates a high formality level. But you may also need just to introduce some speaker. In this case, you should put a comma before the quotation introduction.
- If you finally reached the section "Bibliography" when reading the CMS sample paper, there is something about it that has to be clarified, too. First of all, it is always placed on a separate page after the body of your paper and presents your comprehensive list of sources. Discuss with your instructor, whether it is essential to include the sources which are not cited directly. If you mention multiple authors, use the conjunction "and" instead of &. As for the names of publisher's, you my write them in full, but it is allowed to make them abbreviated.
These are the key points you have to pay attention to when dealing with the CMS sample paper. If you feel like this information is not enough for you and you need additional clarifications, you may use our material. However, we can be helpful to you in other issues.